Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Saying the wrong thing at the wrong time

My sweet David let me know that my tummy was fat yesterday. I looked at him and let him know that most people don't like it when you mention they are fat. And most people who are fat already know they are, so they don't need a reminder. That said he looked at me with a sweet face trying to figure out a way to say something nice about me in a way that didn't call me fat. He first said "I like . . . your . . . whatever. . ." Then he came up to me and pointed to my arm and then my thigh and said "I like these parts on you mommy because they are soft" I hugged him and kissed him and said that was much nicer then calling me fat.

David's my kid who blurts out what he thinks. A little like his Dad in that aspect. On Easter Sunday we had a delicious leg of lamb with parsley potatoes and steamed broccoli. We also invited two families from church. Each brought yummy fruit salads. One had cool whip in it. While David was at the table with the kids he says very loudly "Jack, don't eat this one it's disgusting" Unfortunately the maker of it was sitting right beside him. I hoped that she didn't hear because she didn't show any signs of it and it was a little crazy as kids were dishing up stuff. I liked it and made sure to tell her on the way out how good it was. I later had a talk with David on the etiquette of being polite when you don't like something. He will also loudly point out at the store when he sees someone with piercings or tattoos or immodest clothing. Sometimes people hear him and I hope most the time they don't.

Any ideas on teaching little kids tact?

5 comments:

Pattie said...

Oh, so much fun! I think it's just a stage kids go through...I've had many a fun, embarassing moment with Ella, where I pretend she's not my child.

Becky said...

No ideas whatsoever. :-) And you would think I'd figured it out by now. . . . the good news it that they do grow out of it. At least we can admire the fact that you never have to wonder how he feels about something!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary!

I had your blog saved in my favorites and didn`t remember that. I just read all of it! I loved it.
I laugh my butt off when I read the last post about David`s and it reminded me of one time John, Scarlet and I went to Bahama Breeze restaurant here in Raleigh and we had to wait in the hall, because it was crowded. So there was a lady seating waiting to have a table and she started saying how beautiful Scarlet was, bla bla bla and said: "Oh you must be really good to your mom" (looking at me) and Scarlet turns to her and say: "Oh, she is not my mom." So the lady apologizes and Scarlet responds loud: " But she will be my stepmom because she sleeps in the same bed with my daddy..."
Everybody laughed and some of them actually got pretty blushed! ehehe
Children are sooo funny! Scarlet was only 4 at the time.
God bless you Mary and family.

Suzie Petunia said...

So David has a little bit of Mike in him... Mike's say-what-you're-thinking habit is one of his most endearing qualities. :) It has always been fun to tease him about it. But it sounds like David covered his tracks well. "I like ... your... whatever..." Very funny. Good thing he has a mommy like you to teach him the finer points in life.

And I LOVE "Mustache Day"! Those pictures were so cute!

Erin said...

If you figure out the lesson of tact you'll have to send it my way. :)

LOVE the moustache day! :) Your boys are so sweet.