Sunday, July 19, 2009

Crafty groove for a day.



So I got into a bit of a crafty groove there for a day or two. This here creation was made from a sock that was never worn but had no match. I'm not sure why but that's the story and I just couldn't throw a perfectly good new sock away. I'd like you to meet Sally. My children named her. I realize that her eyes are too high on her head but we still like her. Sally's hair is made from wild Alaskan snowshoe hare. Yup that's right. My husband "kilt" some rabbits and we "et" them up like some fried chicken one day and then biscuits and gravy the next. Was "pret ner good" if you "ax" me. We gave hide tanning a try and realized that it's a bit of work. We destroyed some and had little tiny scraps which is how Sally got her ultra soft hair. Wish you could feel the softness via my blog.
Arrrgh! Doesn't everyone love pirates! Well I had an a baby shower to attend and decided to pull out some stuff in my "messy room" and create. This is what I came up with and I love him. I must admit that I stole the idea from my good friend suziepetunia. She mailed me a great little toy for my third baby and he loved it. It was similar to this but not as piratey.
You notice that I got my pictures in the wrong order so you get to see the back of his head first. He had a lovely treasure map on the back of his head. You may note that he has two different ribbons for hair. His pants are made of corduroy to add a little more texture. His arms and legs are pretty skinny for grabbing with chubby little hands. He also jingles inside.


Here's his face. Scary eh? He has a zipper mouth that you could put something inside. Nothing too big grant you but you could hide some gold fish in there. His nose and eyes are felt. His patch is vinyl and of course there's an eye under it.
I love this pirate so much I almost didn't want to give it away. I even have a few requests for them. We'll see if I get to making anymore but he was awfully fun to make. I'll have to hit another crafty groove again. And lest you think I forgot about my giveaway, I have not. My dear friends I will be crafting up again to make some more stuff and fulfill my promise.

10 comments:

Lindsay JJ said...

mary, I love your crafty ventures! What great ideas! I could see that little pirate being drug around by a little kid for years... anyhows, things have been crazy this summer what with having a baby and you know.... summer... but we must get together soon! Come to my dirty messy house and play!

Kritta22 said...

You are such a superstar!! I heart you bunches!

Jessie said...

I am more in love with that pirate than any other piece of crafy goodness I have seen in anything I can recollect. Meaning, you are the best at crafty goodness. Oh how my life would be incomplete without my buddy Mary!

Amber Henrie said...

the hair is really, really soft. I can't wait to show peeps my really cool apron that you're going to make me (well, hopefully I can help a little and tell people I learned to sew as well)

Erin said...

I love these!! Especially the pirate! I think I will try to recreate something like this. What a great idea!

Heidi said...

Oh, my gosh, I love them both! The pirate is the cutest. & I especially love your country talk; I was cracking up! :D It reminded me of my hubby, who does silly voices all the time!

Carrilyne said...

Soo cute! you are inspiring me!! What a fun meaningful gift!

Brenda said...

Did the pirate have a name?

Mary Monster Mary said...

No name for the pirate, it was hard enough to give it away.

mags said...

arrrgh!! ilove that pirate. you should make a pattern and we'll use it for super saturdee! i hope sally comes back to primary soon. i heart sally.