I was a teenager when all FAT was BAD and it seemed that FAT FREE was the way to go. Honestly this was probably the closest I had ever been to a "Diet". I always read labels and opted for FAT FREE products, except for salad dressing because that's just gross. Little did I realize that all the sugar they added to the products to add flavor was. . . uhm. . . fattening too.
I remember watching my mom butter vegetables and thought "eeew". I never buttered bread, especially if it was home made bread. My mom's signature sandwich is butter and radish on white bread. I'm pretty sure she still enjoys a peanut butter and salad sandwich now and then too. My dad used to butter the bread before making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We always buttered our rice, pasta etc. Butter was an important part of our household. My mom would buy real butter for the table and margarine for baking things like cookies.
I rarely needed butter when I left the nest but then when I got married I found I used a bit more. I eventually quit buying margarine for baking because I didn't want to have any partially hydrogenated oils in our home. Slowly butter eeked it's way back into my home and heart (ha ha literally).
I realized recently that we consume at least 4 pounds of butter a month. That sounds like a lot doesn't it? It is. My poor heart probably isn't pleased but my taste buds are. I love real butter. I don't want any of that fake crap even if it's so cheap. I love a deal but butter is here to stay.
So what do we eat butter on now. Oh let me count the ways.
I occasionally butter my steamed vegetables, just a pat not even a tablespoon for the whole bowl. But everyone eats more when they're buttered.
We butter popcorn and we do eat a lot of air popped popcorn. We usually have a family movie night once a week and we make 2-3 batches and use about 2 TBSP per batch. Mike will occasionally make some after the kids go to bed throughout the week and I can't say for sure how much butter he uses but it's probably more then I use.
I've been making all my bread since October 2009 and it's been great but since I make bread we eat more bread and it's so yummy to have a hot slice with some butter. I would have never done this in my teenage years. Not only do we have our whole wheat flax bread but we eat home made sourdough bread. Mike swears there is no need for any other bread in the world, my kids would probably agree. I usually make two loaves a week. Oh how everyone loves a toasted piece slathered with butter. So yummy!
Of course I am a baker as well and we use lots of butter for baking things like cookies, cakes, pies, tarts, brownies, you know, whatever hits me at the time. I try not to bake too much but I probably make 3 big desserts a month depending on if we have to take any to any other functions too.
So in conclusion is it any wonder that I have maintained my weight to be about 30 pounds heavier then when I was in high school during my fat free days? Of course I don't think people should really look like they did in high school. Given 4 pregnancies and a love of food including butter it's not a surprise. I do use lots of olive oil too and if for some reason I fry anything it's with Canola oil.
I'm no Paula Dean but butter is good! How bad do you think it really is for my heart?
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
i think butter makes you heart happy. just keep walking, cause butter rules, and i agree, it's here to stay!
I can't imagine eating popcorn or warm fresh bread w/o some "butta" I love chocolate just as much as I do butter. So I'm really in trouble. Like they say, "moments on your lips....years on your hips." That's okay with me. There will be more for my grandkids to love when I'm older.
I use more butter now that I make my own bread too! It's just the way things are supposed to be.
Butter is better. I don't know why I've always felt so resistant to things like diets or really watching my fat intake. Perhaps it just reminds me that the only time I've ever lost appreciable weight has been when I've worked out 2-4 hours a day, and half starved myself. Eating more fattening food doesn't make me gain weight, and I have to work extremely hard to loose any. So I figure I may as well be comfortable fat, because this is the shape I've always been and the sooner I get happy with myself the better.
I have to say I recently had an internal debate while at the grocery store, standing in front of the butter and margarine section. Price or taste, which is more important? and then I thought of Joe. . .he's hands down a butter man. butter it is, probably for the same reasons you are. Mama's home cookin'.
mmm, butter, my mom turned me into an all butter girl early on.....no fake crap for me! Nothing beats a warm slice of bread with butter! Dang, may have to make some!! you want to send me your whole wheat w/flax recipe?!
I am so glad someone decided to dedicate an entire POST to BUTTER!!! I try to tell my boyfriend all the time that butter is essential and he thinks its just fatty!(i buy the huge things of butter, the biggest one you can buy)When I cook the same meal he cooked just 3 days prior, mine always tastes "different and wonderful" I say "SEEE its the butter"! Butter is the glitter of recipes!
Post a Comment