Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Media's impact
We had the missionaries over for dinner and after a wonderful corn chowder ( I recommend) and fish tacos and all the clean up, well we were a little tired. Didn't even get homework done. We'll wake up early tomorrow. So tonight we chose the lazy family activity for FHE. We watched a movie. One I didn't really know much about (always a little risky with little people) but I guess it was pretty good. "Game Plan" It's a disney flick with Dwayne "the Rock". It shows him being totally self-centered and selfish in the begining. He has a long lost daughter he never knew about show up and it shows them getting to know each other. So there are parts in the movie where they talk about what they eat. "My mom says Fanny Burgers make kids fat and gives them gas" Stuff like that. Actually pretty positive for the parents trying to teach their kids to eat healthy. It also shows scenes of ballet and weight lifting. After the movie was over my little six year old Jack got down on the floor and did a good 10 push ups. We all praised his strength and then he did some more, and more and more. The kids arms have to feel like jello. He just kept doing it. Now you have to remember that he comes from two unathletic parents ( I used to work out but never did sports). I've been thinking of ways to encourage him in doing sports. Just one little movie and he was ready to buff up. We all felt his little muscles a million times. This is the same boy who was angry with me for not letting him sugar (just plain sugar) for lunch before church on Sunday. It just makes me realize how much the media does impact us and our children. I will gladly tell my husband that he should never think those skinny women on TV are normal. My mother raised me with a good sense of being happy with the body I have and that there are few women in this world who are naturally skinny, skinny. That doesn't mean I don't ever try to improve on what I have because believe me after three kids and eating with my husband, well let's just say I could use some improvements. :) Still grateful though for the body I have. It serves me well. :) I just wish you all could see my Jack doing his push ups. After he did regular ones he tried putting his feet on the arm of the couch and doing one armed ones. He's crazy. :) I love being a Mom! Enough Said.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
May I just say that today I saw a great act of motherhood. You've reallyl inspired me with all sorts of ideas to keep my kids smiling just because of mustache day! I love mustache day. I also love the horse a rider picture, abstract art is like poetry for me. My favorite one is just sorta plain though it is the one by lorus pratt of the hay stacks.
ps I love that quote from Henry David Thoreau. I think I might steal it for my blog!
THanks. I thought you might think me crazy to walk around with a moustache on. Sometimes I am but hey it's fun to have crazy days. We jumped in puddles the last couple days. I bought some cute rainboots from target.com.
Post a Comment