This is my new reading material. I just thought it sounded so fun. So far this book has reminded me why I like not being overly organized. Here's a little excerpt.
" It's not just that the advantages of being neat and organized are typically outweighed by the costs. As it turns out, the very advantages themselves are often illusory. Though it flies in the face of almost universally accepted wisdom, moderately disorganized people, institutions, and systems frequently turn out to be more efficient, more resilient, more creative, and in general more effective then highly organized ones. Just as the cost of neatness has been ignored, so have the potential benefits of achieving the right level and type of mess. While beneficial disorder my not be the rule, it isn't much of an exception, either."
Music to my ears. :) "Moderately disorganized", I like to think I'm there. My husband may disagree. As I was sitting on the bed with this book in hand he was organizing his sock drawer. I'm happy that makes him feel good but I just don't care if my sock drawer is organized.
Another quote, "When people are anxious about their messy homes and offices or their disorganized schedules, it's often not because the messiness and disorder are causing the problems, but because people simply assume they should be neater and more organized and feel bad that they aren't." So now when people come over I hope I don't worry too much about the state of my house because well we actually live here and that is how it will look. :)
And my final thought on this is from the famous Albert Einstein
"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what then, is an empty desk?"
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Mary- this book sounds cool! Who is the author. Next time I am in the bookstore trying to find something I might pick it up. PS - looking forward to seeing you and Danielle this fall.
Just saw other blog post! :)
Ooh, I'm so excited! That'll be so fun.
I need to read this book too (or have my hubby read it ha ha!). I have been labeled by some as the most organized messy person they know. I usually can find exactly what I need in each disasterous pile. I can guarantee I will never have an empty desk!
I LOVE this!! I really need to read this book. Thanks for letting me feel a little bit better.
I don't know you remember me but I met you at SuziePetunia's house.
Post a Comment