Adventure is never too far to find in my neck of the woods. Friday last week my Sam decided to put a purple bead up his nose at preschool. So my lovely friend called me and let me know. I felt so bad as I busted a gut in the middle of target. I don't know why I thought it was so funny but I did. When I talked to him on the phone he was so sad my laughter dwindled quickly and I decided I had better go pick him up. The day before he tried shoving cheese up his nose at which point I reminded him of another friend who had also put a bead up his nose and had to go to the ER. I thought that would be helpful but apparently it only sparks the imagination.
So off to the ER we went. He wasn't sad by the time I had picked him up and I couldn't see the bead at all. I could see a trace of blood but that was it. We got to the ER and they saw us almost right away. I thought "Wow, this never happens". Well it didn't happen. 4 hours later we got to go home and the bead was still no where to be found.
Sam loved the 4 hours of all mom attention he got though. We laughed, we played, we made balloons out of the gloves. We tried procedures they suggested without them. They said that I could plug his good nostril and blow into his mouth, like CPR to try and blow the bead back out. This he was very willing to do. He would open his mouth so wide and ready that it would just crack me up. But I did try SEVERAL times to get this to work. Didn't work with or without the staff watching. Eventually they got an ENT to come and check him out. He numbed his "nose holes" and used a "nose opener" to look deeper in with his special lights. NADA! So he said that it probably went all the way back and he swallowed it. Nice, now Sam is excited to check his poop.
Problem, if he gets a really runny nose bring him in and we'll do surgery. Well today I noticed a runny nose. Predominately on the bead side. Hmmm. Will surgery be lurking around the corner? Who knows.
Have your kids stuck anything fun up their noses? Besides their fingers. Oh FYI organic matter is of more concern that plastic in case you were wondering. Oils from the foods etc. can really irritate apparently. Just thought I'd let you know.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh Sam! I laughed when I read this too!! Sorry Sam!
I used to stick things up MY SISTER's nose when I was a kid. She had to go to the doctor twice because of things I told her to put up her nose. Raisin and a marble I think. I'm not too sure about the marble but I definately remember the raisin! LOL
My kids just put things in their ears. Popcorn, earrings, rocks from the playground. It's always an adventure when you have preschoolers!
My kids have never put anything up their noses however Braydon did swallow a battery! We had to drive him an hour away and the Dr.s had to put him under to get it out. On the fun side though I did get the battery back and a picture of it in his stomach! He also got a rock in his ear this summer at play group.....all went well though, everyone just beat him on the head til' it came out.
oh mary i'm such a terrible friend! if he has surgery i'm going to clean your bathrooms. it's only fair.
There's always fun at your house. The only thing up my kids' nose are boogers galore....oh, and lots of blood!
Post a Comment