Last Friday I had a free night of babysitting provided by the military. It was from 7-11pm. Obviously later then my kids usually go to bed. I did some Christmas shopping. I even got home in time before I had to pick them up and hid the stuff. I bought some new blankets for them too and put them on their beds so they'd have a little surprise.
On the way home from picking them up I was explaining to my very tired boys why I really wanted to go to my brother's wedding. I told them that my brother Ed is a very loyal family member and has made sacrifices to come to all of his siblings weddings even though he couldn't come inside the temple. This made a huge impact on me and about how important we all are in our family. I told my boys that my brother isn't the kind of person who worries about having stuff. That he's very kind and would give what he has to help other people out especially his family. Somewhere in there I told them I had a little surprise on their beds. David says "A Christmas gift?" I said "no, not really but just something from mom and dad for you to use". Before we get out of the car Jack tells me. "Mom, when you were telling us that stuff about Uncle Ed, it almost made me want to cry" I told him "You know it almost made me want to cry too". My side of the family isn't known for communication skills but it's amazing how much love we do feel for each other. I gotta work on those skills.
We get inside and David looks at his new blanket on his bed and yells at me" Mom ! I wanted a toy, this isn't a toy, this is stupid" Which got Sam saying "mom, I wanted a toy too" Jack looked at me with the sweetest look on his face and tears starting in his eyes and said to his brothers "Stop treating Mom like that! This is a gift" Then to me "Mom, I love the blanket, thank you". Wow! This is one of those moments we all dream about. This is my child, my son who wrote at school about things he likes to taste- fingernails. He could actually reach full maturity one day. I was so proud of him. They went straight to bed after I hugged and kissed Jack a little extra. I didn't hear much from their room but the next morning David comes into my bed and says in the nicest apology voice I've ever heard from him, "Mom, I'm sorry I yelled at you last night, I like the blanket, thank you ". Another Wow! Now I have some kinda light at the end of the tunnel for those rougher days. They can be kind and considerate. These are the moments to remember forever.
6 comments:
Oh your boys made me cry! They have soft hearts under there!
When is your brother's wedding? Do you need me to watch the boys? We could have a Ethan, Nova, Jack, Sam and David sleep over for a few nights. Yeah after two, what's three more!?
Let me know.
Awwww! I'm so glad that Jack is going to marry Indy! Indy is a softy too.
they are nice and considerate because you are a great example of those qualities! i got teary about ed's story too. whatever you need to get there, i'll help. we'd love to have the boys come play and i promise, no more trips to the er!
You've got great kids Mary. Then again you were always an awesome older sister, I knew you'd make a great mom.
It'll be great to see you at Christmas. Make sure to give the boys a hug from Uncle Ben for me.
OH, sweet boy, Jack!! I am so proud of him. What a big boy! Those moments are precious, priceless, and oh-too-rare... but I guess that is what makes them precious and priceless! :) What sweet boys.
I miss you, Mary.
what a sweetie!
Post a Comment