So I've managed to never own a scale until this Christmas. I've had fun weighing myself before and after I go to the bathroom, before and after I shower, naked and clothed. I thought the truth of what it told me would set me free. Granted I do think about it a bit more but that chocolate still screams "Mary!". Yes I am weak.
Now I've been pretty happy without a scale for my 34 years. Well I guess that's not true because my parents owned one when I lived there but since I've been 18 I've managed to be scale free. It is nice to be ignorant in a way.
I've also been full length mirror free since we've lived in AK. Just because I never bought one. Sometimes I try to stand on my toilet and turn my tri fold medicine cabinet mirrors to see if I can get an idea of what I look like but it doesn't really work. I usually go blissfully about my days ignorant to how I really look.
I recently got myself ready to pick up my hubby who was gone for about 3 months. I thought I was looking pretty good. I had to run to the store quickly to pick something up. I pushed the cart around with Sam attached to the outside holding on. I was quickly going through and passed a full length mirror. Low and behold to my horror, I knew what I looked like and well let's just say it wasn't what I THOUGHT I looked like. I was kinda embarrassed that I'd go out in public looking like that. So I went home and changed. Hopefully the next outfit wasn't too bad but if it was no one was staring.
So my question to you is which is it, Ignorance is Bliss or Will the truth set you free? I would like to say that the truth has set me free and I am able to tackle those problem areas of my physical appearance but I'm a weak,undisciplined person. I will most likely buy a full length mirror though. I love to read all my nutrition stuff but man is my sugar addiction strong. Reading and doing are two totally different things.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I totally hear you on the sugar addiciton. I hope I am never diabetic!
I have this same battle with myself. I haven't owed a scale since I was banished from it in high school. Different story.
Anyway we got one recently for Connor and Chris. Now I'm obsessed, almost. I didn't know pee weighed so much! LOL Before I pee, after I pee...so fun!
Anyway I have a problem with pictures of myself. The mirror I guess I just ignore but pictures just scream at me, "You have three chins!!"
So I have no solution for you, only common complates! Sorry.
My friend over at twotennesseegals.blogspot.com just gave up sugar. You should read what she had to say about it. I still don't think I could do it though.
I've been wanting to get a full length mirror for a while now. They are all over the gym so I know how I look in my gym clothes. Yikes! The old core still needs a lot of work.
My friend talked me into training for a half marathon. She offered me a double jogger and everything. I'm starting small. I'll let you now how it goes.
Oh, wind chill today is a balmy 12 degrees. I'm thinking about you...
Splenda? I use it to sweeten lots of things and it's calorie free. Perhaps limit yourself to one sugary (AKA Chocolate) treat a week...like, "if I can be good all week, I can have a treat on Sunday?" Id like to say it works for me, but it really doesn't. Sounds good in theory, though.
I bought my first full length mirror this past weekend....WOW! Beats standing on the toilet, trying to see yourself in the bathroom mirror.
I think you look great. We are always more critical of ourselves than others are.
Been reading all your posts... I get them delivered to my inbox automatically at work. I love RSS!
Anyway, had to laugh about this whole mirror thing. I had a similar experience. I went to try on a swimsuit for our trip a few weeks ago to Jamaica. Hadn't been naked in front of a full length mirror in good lighting for a long time. I was in horror. Usually I am looking at the front of myself in the mirror but this was one where you could see the back too. I was like, WHOS BUTT IS THAT??? Surely it wasn't mine. But yes, it was. And I was devastated. And then I went on an all inclusive trip to Jamaica and ate like a little piggy. And now I'm on what seems like an all salad diet :)
Gotta love it!
Hey, Mary!
The truth would set me free if I was willing to do something about. I'm too addicted to chocolate and sweets. At least, I finally got off my ice cream binge that started during my last pregnancy and ended only because my son Liam is allergic to milk and I was nursing.
Despite those nightly feedings for 6 months, I weigh less now than I did before Kai, he's going to be seven this year. But that weight loss certainly doesn't make me look any better after having 3 kids.
I've been going to hula and Tahitian dance lessons once a week hoping that would help me to lose weigh and tone, but that only works if I actually practice the rest of the week. With what free time? There's a recital in April, so I'll have to make the time, cuz I don't want to look like an idiot.
Hi Mary! I didn't even know any other 'Henrie's' Had blogs, I was so excited when Amber joined the blogging community and I found all of my cousins! I hope your family is doing GREAT!
P.S. I can't live without the scale, I know I'd gain weight...if I go up on the scale I know it's time to regulate :)lol.
Personally I am still trying to work this out!?
Is it better to know, and have that guilt?
Or is it better to oblivous and not know?
I guess knowledge is power, or "ipsa scientia potestas est"
Post a Comment