Monday, May 4, 2009

Labeling

My friends in high school used to tease me and say "Molly Mormon, Betty Crocker, Bake it from scratch" There may have been a "Goody Goody" in there too somewhere. I had the opportunity to learn to cook early in life. While my mom went to grad school Mon-Thurs. I made dinner for 8 those nights. Granted they were things like Spaghetti, Tuna Noodle casserole or Salmon loaf. Nothing too fancy or desirable but I obviously learned to love cooking and I have always loved baking.

Well I'm here to tell you that it's only gotten more intense. Granted I don't think I use Betty Crocker for anything in my house, though I think I could take her on . I do love to cook and eat. My goal in life recently is to "eat food, not too much and mostly plants" at least that's what my most recent readings tell me in the book "In Defense of Food". I really like most of what he says. I have always agreed that the most natural something is the better for you it is.

So that said let me share my desires with you. I only buy four loaves of bread a month. That's about $9.18 a month. Then I make homemade bread at the end of the month. I've finally gotten a really good recipe that I like. So a 25 pound bag of whole wheat is about $8. How much bread do you think I can make with 25 pounds of wheat? A lot more then 4 loaves. What do I need to make that bread? A wheat grinder. These are definitely more pricey. Here are the two I am looking at. The electric one cost $42 to ship and is cheaper but I really like the manual one and think it would be fun to hook it up to a bike. Do I sound crazy to you? Maybe a little but I've got to live up to my label of "Molly Mormon, Betty Crocker, bake it from scratch" title I earned back in my high school days.
I've heard these manual ones are really fantastic and will last longer than you. You can convert them to have a motor or hook it up to a bike or do it the old fashioned way.
This Electric one is great I'm sure and a bit cheaper. If any of you have a wheat grinder you are fond of please let me know. I'm saving my pennies.















7 comments:

Kritta22 said...

Did you ever figure out if you were going to order one?

Vickie keeps bugging me. Sorry. It's why I'm bugging you.

I would love to be so great in the kitchen as yoU!

Carrilyne said...

When I say on my blog that you had posted this 16 hours ago I felt like I was only 16 hours away from having a real conversation with you!! It made me smile. Good luck on finding a wheat grinder... I really think you should get the manual one so you can exercise while grinding the wheat for your healthy bread!

Brenda said...

Joy's parents got us an electric one for Christmas a few years ago, and we love it! It sounds like a jet taking off, but it's fast & efficient. We've made our own whole wheat flour, corn meal and even ground up cinnamon sticks.

Now I just need to master the bread making thing. I haven't yet found a recipe that I like that isn't too much work. :-)

Angela said...

I like the idea of having a grinder with a manual option, but I'm not sure I could do without the electric part of it most days. My parents have a grinder with both options. I have a friend who's buying one soon, I'll ask her if she's found "the one."

Rachel said...

I don't have a wheat grinder, although I'd love one, but I would go with the manual one. My reasoning...if an emergency or natural disaster strikes and you loose power, you wont be able to use your powered grinder! :)

Anonymous said...

You remembered!I hope it didn't scar you. I always thought that when they gave Betty a make over (in the 90s) you should have tried out! You could probaly afford those plane tickets!!! Love ya Mary
~Edith

Amanda said...

Until you decide (and after you go camping, of course) you and the boys come over this week and grind away!