Sunday, February 14, 2010

And let them eat cake!

So I came home from church today pretty tired and not feeling to swell. I get lovely monthly headaches and one was coming on pretty strong. I had no desire to cook or eat really. So after cleaning up our breakfast dishes that I hastily abandoned in our rush to get to church on time I thought I'd take it easy.

Then I decided to make a cake. I know silly me.

I was going to create something new. I wanted to make a kiwi lime cake. I had planned to put a layer of pureed kiwi in between the cake layers. I last minute changed my mind on how to do it after reading through a recipe that used apricots and decided to cook the puree. Ha ha because apricots and kiwi's are so similar. I don't know what I was thinking but we can blame it on the hormones OK.

I made a nice fluffy white cake with fluffy egg whites, and then I made a lime curd and then I made the kiwi catastrophe and finally a very yummy cream cheese lime frosting. So you can see that there are many steps here, why I felt the need to do this I'm not really sure but I did. As I assembled my cake I fortunately did not add the kiwi part. It was too weird. I did slice each layer in half and put the curd between and then frosted it all up. My from scratchity scratch cakes haven't been too great lately but this one was pretty good. I even took some pictures. Shocking I know but I can't find my cord to connect it to my computer so you won't seeing them today. Sorry.

After slaving over this yummy cake I thought "Well, I guess I should feed my kids food too, hmmm, I don't feel like cooking, what should I do?" Then I laid down for about 15 min. and got up and pulled out a head of cauliflower (because my kids love it, oh that's just a joke okay cause I'm really the one who loves it, they all hate it). I washed and chopped and pulled apart segments and put them all into a Pyrex with olive oil and sea salt and roasted them right up.

Hmmm . . . I should probably make something else for them to eat. I looked in the freezer and beheld a bag of frozen chicken breasts. I took out two of my hormonally enhanced chicken boobs and put into the micro for defrosting. I cut them up into fingers and dipped them into the all enhancing magical grey poupon mustard and then tossed them into a mixture of my own homemade bread crumbs from my real home made bread (am I sounding a bit cheesy yet? ) mixed with some Parmesan cheese, slapped them into another Pyrex and shoved them into the oven. Then I remembered my kids don't really like chicken and they really don't like any mustard's at all. Rats.

Hmmmm . . . maybe I should make a can of green beans in all their flavorless wonder. My kids always like canned green beans.

And so this was our meal tonight. Once my children all calmed down enough to actually eat dinner (Sundays get pretty wild at our house), they looked upon their plates and the whining began.

David asked "Mom, do I have to eat everything or just try it to get cake", he's pretty straight and to the point. I told him he had to eat it all. So mean aren't I? It really wasn't that much. In fact all I put on their plates was one chicken finger, one spoon of cauliflower and two spoons of the bland green beans. Not unreasonable by any means.

Sam says "Mom, my tummy hurts, I can't eat any more" I say "Oh too bad that means you shouldn't eat cake either" Sam says"I didn't say I didn't want cake!" So I ended up giving in and feeding him like a baby to get him to eat his food. He did it all for the cake.

Jack arrived after David and Sam were already eating cake and whined that it wasn't fair that I make him food that he doesn't like. He pointed out that I especially do it when we have a good dessert. I informed him that I am evil and this is my master plan to make foods he despises only to taunt him with delicious desserts. He was not amused and refused to eat his cauliflower after trying one and almost making himself throw up. It just wasn't worth cake. I didn't hear any more complaints from him for the rest of the night. Too bad he missed out cause it really was a good cake.

I now have 3/4's of a cake left so any local friends out there stop by for a slice, I promise it was better the the Cake Bible disaster I made on Jack's birthday.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

All I can say is Yum!! I want some cake. I would even have eaten my dinner without complaint.

Danielle said...

you sound like the best mom! those kids wont realize what great food they had until they are out of the house! want to come cook at my house....granted you will get the same complaints from my kids, but not from me!

Mary Monster Mary said...

Thanks guys. Danielle, I'm dying to come to your house.