Wednesday, November 3, 2010

JELLO

So most of you know I love to cook and I love to eat.  I have had many a friend comment to me on the strange things I make for our family to eat.  Now I don't think they are strange but I guess others do. 

Despite my love of cooking there are a few things that I think most of the world must have perfected but leave me dumbfounded.  Jello is only one.  Yes, I know, how hard can it be?  You add boiling water and cold water and waaa-la it's jello.  For some reason no matter what I seem to always have a nice grit at the bottom of my jello.  My mother didn't feed us a jello salad every Sunday growing up, really I don't think she ever fed us jello salad.  Maybe it's in the genes.  Mike's a purist and only will eat simple jello anyway no fancy add ins for him.

Tonight I decided to make burgers since my kids like burger king burgers.  I thought every time I shape them myself they shrink into little hockey pucks and are tasteless.  So this time I actually bought already shaped burgers in the ground beef section of the store.  Nothing was added to them but I thought maybe they'll work better.  I added some seasoning to each side and grilled them up.  They didn't shrink so much but they were pretty tasteless and I burned half of mine.  I believe BK is the only way to go for us.

To go along with our burgers I thought I'd use up some Tater Tots a friend left me when she moved.  Because I'm not educated in the way of tater tots I didn't get them into the oven before hand and read the package that said to pan fry them for 5-6 min.  as opposed to the 25 min. in the oven.  Let's just say that they weren't tater tots when I was done with them.  I didn't even use my non stick skillet so the crunch parts were all stuck to the bottom of the pan and the rest was , well, hash browns.  No one ate them and I don't blame them. 

So that's my confession of a few items I seem to lack the specific skill in preparing.  What to do with ground beef?  I just don't know.  On to cardamon chicken and shrimp saag and ginger glazed salmon oh and I made a really yummy chocolate pear upside down cake.  What's your particular cooking challenges?  Do you have any tips for me? 

5 comments:

Ben Stair said...

Jello is an abomination anyway. You're better off without it. ;)

I can't flip a crepe to save my life.

nonie3234 said...

This is my husband's most favorite burger recipe ever:
http://bit.ly/abDWCC

Tip: He uses a George Foreman type grill for them, and they turn out perfect ever time.

As for me - I'm pretty bad at hash browns, and I'm pretty much guaranteed to burn myself whenever I'm near the oven. John insists on operating that particular appliance for me.

Carrilyne said...

i think you have to stick with gourmet cooking! That's what you are good at! I remember eating some fabulous dinners with you! For me my rolls turn out only half the time! When they are good they are really really good but when they are bad they are very very bad!

Mary Monster Mary said...

Ben, I agree about jello, I've never once craved the stuff so my life without it would be just fine.

As for the crepes, well I don't flip them. My family loves crepes and despite the fact that I don't have a fancy crepe pan I do pretty well. I use about 1/4 cup of my batter in my smaller non stick skillet and swirl it around then pour out the excess and let it cook for a minute or two then I take it out and it's cooked. I add my favorite squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkle of powdered sugar and I roll it up. So good. Give it another try.

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

I can't make rice cereal treats.