So with the new year I'm sure I'm not alone in the area of budget goals. Or at least trying to stick to them. Or in the fact that we've overspent through the holiday season. We decided to see how far our groceries would go this month. It's been interesting and I'm learning a lot. I once had the goal of keeping enough food in our house to feed us for three months. Ha! We may not even make it for a month. In fact we haven't. I know I will go to the store but so far I'm hanging on. I made some homemade bread today and I think it will actually be pretty good, though I'm no queen of yeast. :)
We have no sugar cereal (which I have been weeding out but Daddy picks up on occasion) We have no sugar to put on the no sugar cereal. How I ran out I just don't know but I did find Sam drinking from our sugar container a week or so ago. Hmmm.
Anyways I made out a menu with food items to eat until I do go to the store. Tonight was going to be Latkes, you know those yummy potato things. I like them and I had applesauce to accompany them. I know it doesn't sound super filling but I thought it sounded good. Then I remembered that my kids hate potatoes unless they are in the form of a french fry or potato chip. So we got home from the ice sculptures and I thought I needed to act fast before they went crazy and I made a quick tomato soup with a can of crushed tomatoes and some evaporated milk. I know it doesn't sound very appealing. I thought it tasted okay but apparently I'm trying to starve everyone. Mike wouldn't even eat it and he usually chokes down all my mishaps so the children will at least try them. Hmmp! I was not happy.
Before the ice sculptures though I had not made lunch and the kids had eaten the last of the snack food. So I figured they'd be okay since they aren't big eaters anyway. They all started complaining of "starving" when I got a phone call. It was a friend from church and she could hear craziness in the car. Mike began singing a silly song about her bringing us food because I don't feed them and then my kids start chanting "feed us! feed us!" It was so hilariously funny to me that I had tears in my eyes. The poor thing just needed to ask me a simple question. She seemed to be laughing too she said we'd lost it but was laughing with us? or maybe at us? Regardless it was a funny experience.
I realize now that I wrote this all in a upside down backwards kind of way but hey it's just that kind of day. :)
Happy news is that my computer is working again.
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You have always been so creative with your made-up concoctions. Taylor is good at that, too. Not me. The soup sounds yummy. I would have eaten it!
Hey Mary ,
Hope that you are doing okay! My cabinets are bare and I shop every 2 weeks! I can't even make it strecth that far. I feel your pain of "starving" kids!
Edith
Geez I feel like I'm constantly having to think up what I can make with what I have. I guess we do pretty well, but there are always those times when everyone hates it!
Miss you girl. Hope you're not freezing over there! :)
Budget goals...that sounds familiar. One of our goals this year is food storage. We finally have a place to put it so I can't use that excuse anymore. I started going to this website couponmom.com. They match the coupons in the Sunday paper with whats on sale at your local grocery and drugstores. I'm spending the same amount I've always spent but miraculously there is food left over when pay day comes again. Lots of food actually and we are slowly but surely getting a start on a three month supply. Imagine that!
Post a Comment