I like to read nutrition books. Not that I eat the most nutritious diet but I like to learn about what's good for you. My most recent read is a diet book ( I have never actually participated in a set diet). It's called "The Fiber 35 diet, Nature's Weight loss Secret. I already believe strongly in whole grains and fiberous foods. Especially after having my Jack go to a specialist for bowel troubles and realizing that we really don't eat as much fiber as I thought we did. So here's a little blurb from the book about soda.
WARNING: SUGAR AND SOFT DRINKS
Sodas can pack a ferocious punch of calories. The 64-ounce "Big Gulp" soft drink sold at convenience stores can account for as much as 900 or 1,000 calories in just one serving. It's possible to consume more calories from soda and other sweet drinks than from any other food. And diet drinks, while they are a better alternative then regular sodas, are not necessarily a safe bet. Artificial sugars commonly used in diet sodas can trigger a sugar craving and lead to blood sguar imbalances. Studies have also shown that the risk of becoming overweight increases by a whopping 41 perscent with each can of diet soda consumed daily.
I just thought I'd share this little thought with you. I am trying to eat healthier but man am I addicted to sugar. I still count my fruit and yogurt parfaits as one of my favorite desserts but I also like all the other junk too.
Oh it also states in this book that dark chocolate (my favorite) has 4 grams of fiber. It has to be 70 percent though. I know most people don't like it but I say bring it on! It's so good!
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love that my parents didn't raise me with a love of soda, but boy do I LOVE sweets too. Like we've talked before, it's something I don't know if I could ever completely leave so I'll be with you on the boat to sweetdom, just hopefully learning moderation. Anyway, it's fun to read on a couple things you have to say, what a smart one you are! And remember, I named you the "BEST BOY MOM" I've met, and I say that with a twinge of jealousy. You're great!
mmmm sweets. I only occasionally have a soda now and then...it's a big step from everyday like it used to be! I think reading about nutrition is interesting too. :)
Post a Comment