I'm cheap. Yup yup. So I'm wondering how cheap the rest of you are. Please share your cheap tricks with me so I can perfect my cheapness. Here's a few I confess too.
My kids don't usually eat the crust off sandwiches so I just cut it before I make the sandwich and put them in a bag in the freezer. Later when I've got a good stash and some time I make croutons, stuffing for a roasted chicken, bread crumbs, and sometimes bread pudding. I save the ends of my bread too.
My kids don't always eat an apple when they promise they will. I really hate wasting so I usually bag it and put it in the fridge. They get hungry and I cut of the brown parts and give to the again. Yes, I know that perhaps there is bacteria growing on it but no one's gotten sick yet. Tip- Granny Smith apples don't brown as much.
I sometimes use a dryer sheet twice or save a few and put the once used 2-3 in the same load. I don't know if it does much but I do it.
When I make any veggie like broccoli, carrots, kale, green onion, etc. I save the bits that we cut off like broccoli stalks or ends of carrots and freeze them. Then when I have a bunch I put them into a pot and boil to make veggie stock. It's usually really good but I caution you against too much broccoli in it. The flavor is a bit stronger. Sometimes I use the stock right away and then sometimes I freeze it for later.
That's all for today. I can't wait to hear some more great tips.
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
If you put lemon juice on the apple, it won't brown at all.
I buy the huge bottles of shampoo at costco once, use it, and then buy the cheap stuff at the comissionary and put it in there. I really like the pump and it's quite a bit cheaper.
I save ALL my butter, sour cream, etc...tubs and put leftovers in them and freeze!
Umm...I'll have to think some more..
Not cheap! Frugal! Thrifty! Smart!!
broccoli stems, after you cut off the florets peel the stems and cut them like you would celery sticks. Then eat them with ranch or dip. My girls love them and they are so much better for them than celery! And I'm totally cheap and since I don't work my job is to make the money go as far as it can. I only buy clothes on clearance and even wait for when things are 1/2 off clearance. I don't think my girls have ever worn anything from me that is more than $5.
You don't sound cheap... you are resourceful. I am impressed! By the way, if you put the apple slices in water they will not brown.
I think I am a wasteful person cause I can't think of anything right now that is as smart as you.
Post a Comment