Saturday, July 3, 2010

Jack's B-day

There was never any doubt what Jack wanted for his birthday. He'd only started asking since after Christmas. I kept telling him he had to wait until May to tell me what he wants. I'm not sure he got the exact bionicles he wanted but he was still happy. He also got a whittling book and though he didn't open any new pocket knives that day he got two of those too. :) Jack loves Butterfingers candy bars. Last year I made the worst cake ever. I got it from "The Cake Bible" I don't recommend this book. It was truly gross and though I embrace butter this cake was overkill. This year Jack opted out of regular cake and felt an ice cream cake would be a better option. So here is his butterfinger ice cream cake. Graham cracker crust with crushed butter fingers and butterfinger ice cream and some home made chocolate sauce and more butterfingers on top. He loved it.


My boys all love Jack's little friend and he's honestly been a life saver this summer as he can play with all of my boys peacefully. He always listens to what I say and is very respectful. So when they came inside at lunch and said "Please" can we have the ice cream cake now and can our friend come too. Yup, of course.


We traditionally let the birthday person pick their breakfast, lunch and dinner. Odd years we do a family thing and they get to pick a restaurant to eat at and even years we do a very low key friend party. Jack picked crepes for his birthday breakfast. We also put candles in every meal and sing happy birthday sometimes multiple times. :) I love that my kids enjoy crepes as I feel I make them fairly healthy. I use whole white wheat. Jack and I love the lime crepes where it's just a sprinkle of powder sugar and lime juice rolled up. It really is so good. Then everyone else's favorite is chocolate crepes but those are made with my homemade yogurt which is made with less sugar of course but I add a little coco powder to some powder sugar and mix it into the yogurt and WA-LA chocolate crepes. They really don't need much sugar so I feel pretty good about them.
That looks like so much on the plate. They usually eat 4 or 5 of them. Is that a lot? Oh and the birthday person always gets the red plate. A fun tradition that my mother-in-law got us started with.




1 comment:

Danielle said...

What a fun mom you are...I'm thinking my kids have gotten the shaft on their birthdays this year. You know I love those lime crepes too! Yummy!!