Saturday, May 19, 2012

I believe in bread, potatoes, and butter

Oh you've all heard my convictions on butter but I've recently decided that I need to share my convictions of bread, potatoes, bananas, oranges, etc.  I know that there are about 5 million ways to eat healthy and that everyone has their own idea of what is healthy.  Some prefer sugar substitutes to the real thing for the mere fact that it has little to no calories others feel all refined sugars are the devil ( I know they are but am truly an addict) and some even feel the sugars in things like bananas and oranges are unworthy of entering or bodies. 

So where's one to turn to when in this sea of doubt in regards to food?  My philosophy is taken from the Author Michael Pollan as in the book "In Defense of Food"  he stated we should eat "real food".  So my definition of "real food" does include bread (my homemade whole wheat bread of course), potatoes, bananas, and oranges. 

I agree we should strive to eat locally grown foods because they will taste better and be better for our environment etc.  Alas chocolate and bananas do not grow here in AK so I must eat food shipped in. 

I know that organic is better for the earth and for us but I honestly am too cheap to buy it much of the time.  Occasionally I do spend a little extra and often the food is not so great, probably because of the long journey to get here. 

I despise most artificial sweeteners but have adapted to using Stevia in my herbal teas.  I eat too much in general and don't exercise enough but I do believe in real food.  So many trendy things come and go and the older I get and less I care about self-discipline the more weight I gain.  I've been tempted to subscribe to trendy diets that exclude REAL FOOD. Rest assured I've not given myself to any of them yet.  I keep thinking I'll suddenly gain some self control but it's yet to happen. 

So my question is what is your idea of healthy?  Have you given yourself to trendy diets?  Did you feel they were successful?  Do you still eat this way?  Enlighten me.

4 comments:

Rachel Schanz said...

I believe whole heartedly in eating real foods, and enjoy very much eating real sugar :) If I could master some self control I would try and limit that sugar intake a lot more though....we try to eat a variety of veggies instead of the same old green beans and corn but you are an inspiration to me for all of the creative foods you make! love your blog :)
Rachel Schanz

lelu said...

As I am sitting here eating a pop tart for breakfast, I will tell you that I am working on transitioning my family to a mostly whole foods diet. And my husband is even on board. He is trying to figure out how to make plant based mountain dew though. In the past few months we have seriously cut back on the processed stuff. We eat organic eggs from free range chickens. I planted a real garden. I'm still working on using whole wheat flour and I think my family will have a hard time with it. But it's going to happen.

I've been reading a blog lately beingfrugalbychoice.blogspot.com. She has some really great ideas for preparing real foods and doing it on a budget.

I know that real, local foods can be more expensive but once I took the cheetos and oreos off my grocery list it all balances out. Mostly.

Unknown said...

Where are you?
emails do not go through...

Just so you know….I do check in once in a while and read your blog.
Actually last week I sent you an email which bounced back so didn’t know if you changed email addresses or not….so here I am writing to you with the intent to email you that I just read your blog and I realize…or remember the last email I sent came back.
Maybe I can actually post a comment or something on your blog and see if that works.

I love looking at the pictures of the boys growing up. I love remembering all those mornings sitting around your kitchen table in Presidency meetings. I love remembering how wonderful you are and how glad I am that I got to know you and your family and your sweet husband.

It is funny to read your blog on real food. I certainly agree with you and I totally am there with all the things you say and what you try to do and how easy it is to not succeed but we keep trying.

Sure do love you
Pam

PARAMOUNT PAKISTAN TRUST said...


I know that real, local foods can be more expensive but once decide to collect a list of it all balances go out. Mostly........you are correct